The August 2017 Jojo interview by Cinema Today

Okada Masaki's ever sexy villain Nijimura Keichō became a work of art in his hands


I have translated an interview of the 2017 August interview of Okada Masaki for the live-action movie of Jojo. The interview was conducted by Cinema Today on 3 August 2017. Thanks to Gothavdol for providing me with the article. Enjoy! 

2017年8月3日の岡田将生のジョジョのインタビューを翻訳した。日本語の分は英語の後で。


Okada Masaki speaks of “Jojo”: During my junior high school days, I earnestly wanted to be DIO and Kira 


岡田将生が語る「ジョジョ」本気でDIOや吉良になりたかった中学時代


One day in July.

“It’s Rohan sensei!”

With a volume of the “Jojo’s Bizarre Adventures” manga on his hand and a full smile on his face, actor Okada Masaki exclaimed.

Yes, Okada, who portrayed a challenging role of Nijimura Keichō in the live-action movie “Jojo’s Bizarre Adventures: Diamonds are Unbreakable”, is a big fan of the “Jojo’s Bizarre Adventures” manga showbiz.

Okada looked back to the first time he received the [live-action] offer, earnestly and provocatively confessed that “the feelings that I want to see is truly there, that the feeling that I could truly do that was indeed there”. The actor also narrated his encounter with “Jojo”, the appeal of the original work, and also his thoughts on the movie.

(here Masaki said本気で or ‘honki de’, which  means “seriously” or “earnestly”. If I translated it as just “really”, I feel it would lose its nuance)

Okada Masaki’s first encounter with Jojo during junior high school 


Q: During what period was Okada-san’s first encounter with Jojo? 

It might have been during my junior high school… Originally I was in love with the manga. A fellow manga lover told me that [Jojo] was a manga not to be missed (chuckle). I went to a second hand bookstore and little by little bought every book.


Q: When you mentioned your junior high school, was that during the 6th part of Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure, the “Stone Ocean”? 

That’s right! However, to understand that story, you first need to buy from the first part, right! That’s why it was very hard… I couldn't reach the target… When at long last I caught up, it was just in time that the last volume of the “Stone Ocean” (80 volumes) came out.


Q: Is "Stone Ocean" from the serialization at "Weekly Shonen Jump" (Shueisha)? (the series had undergone a transition to the monthly printed magazine by the time of the "STEEL BALL RUN" story arc) 

That’s right. I started to buy a “Jump” from about the first year of my junior high school. However, there are 63 volumes to the end of Part 5, right… Oh, the good old time…  And what’s more, Jojo was also published as paperbacks  [文庫版], right? Thus, when I started working, when I started earning little by little, I bought the complete set.


Q: The complete set?! By the way, the paperbacks or the individual comics?

I bought the comics! It was very interesting to read many times as you like; the continuity in Jojo is interesting, don’t you think? Although the Shōtarō story arc was supposed to end in three parts, I was very excited when Part 4 came out.


Q: Joseph (the protagonist of Part 2) will also appear in Part 4, right?

Yes, Joseph also came out ...... Kishibe Rohan sensei also came out ...... Also Kira Yoshikage .... Furthermore, the current “Jojo Lion” (in the current series), the character Kira Yoshiage also appears, right? This continuity is good, is it not? … Sensei Araki Hirohiko is truly amazing… I really want to have his sketches…

(In the last sentence, Masaki said絵 ‘e’, hence I assumed he wanted Sensei Araki’s drawings or sketches)


Q: I thought there should be such opportunities for people like you. 

Once upon a time, I used to have many (action) figures in my house… However, I haven’t had a chance to add more. At the moment I’m controlling myself. However, I’m still buying comics!

Source 

The changes in reading Jojo as an adult


Q: Was reading Jojo when you were a junior high school student different to when you read it as an adult?

Most probably. The reading speed has changed, I think. I read slower these days (chuckle). Now I check every frame… For me, every year, each time I re-read one part of the manga, I feel like I find something or other. Even during the shooting in Spain, I downloaded the comic to my mobile phone and exclaimed “this is the scene for tomorrow!” as I read it.


Q: It's rather frequent, then, you re-reading the manga! 

It seems like Kōichi is growing vividly and steadily (chuckle). Every time I read the comic, as character is given a chance to grow, I feel that I also undergo various things that they experienced. Is this an opportunity for me this time…? I often have those thoughts when I read and read the comic. It’s really a nice piece of work.


Q: By the way, have you also watched the TV anime version?

I did watch the series (in real time) sometimes! Yes, I also love Araki sensei’s colourations there!


Q: The comic covers also have vivid colours, right?

Yes, they are truly amazing! And then, when I was in school, we fans would imitate the poses of Jojo and his colleagues.  Also, during the shooting of this movie, fellow actor Yamazaki Kento asked me to “please do this pose (of a particular comic cover)!” (chuckle)


Q: You mean as you were still in costume during the shooting time?

Yes, that’s right! Thus I said, “Oh! Cool, okay!” (laugh).


Q: Stand (a special ability) is also one of attractions of Jojo. What is your most favourite Stand?

A stand depends on one character’s personality. That’s why I love Jojo’s “Crazy Diamond” the most with its ability to repair/heal. At the same time, I thought I’d like to be a man like Jojo. There is no such a man with such a pleasant feeling. It’s cool. But the most popular Stand might be Kira Yoshikage’s “Killler Queen”. But Giorno’s “Gold Experience” might be popular as well. Ummm… I think I am indeed choosing Jojo.


Q: For you, what is Jojo’s appeal?

It is difficult, right... While I was a junior high school student, I thought that the biggest appeal was the bad guys. Of course I also like Shōtarō and Jojo. Nevertheless, the more attractive the villains are, the good guys stand out even more. I truly like this contrasting relationship. As a junior and high school student, when watching DIO and Kira, I earnestly thought, “They’re so cool! I want be them!”. Afterwards, in the 5th part, DIO’s own son became a protagonist. I like aspects such as these very much.


Source

The dialogues sourced from Araki sensei



Q: Well then, did you feel great pleasure in being able to play Nijimura Keichō in the movie?

Yes, I did! Because Keichō was the first enemy for Jojo. Also, Keichō is not completely evil; he has his own convictions. I think his relationship with his family is amazing (in a way). For a long time, I was repeatedly impressed; more than just during the first time I read the manga. Jojo is a work that has a variety of depth depending on the age when one reads it, don’t you think so? That’s why I was so happy that I could play Keichō. I am truly happy upon seeing the completed work. Truly… I am so happy that I was involved… When I first learned that a live-action movie was to be made about Jojo, somewhere within I was like “what?!”. But now, I truly believe that it will be successful.

(note: Masaki said  ステキ suteki to describe the feeling of Keichō’s relationship with his family, but I’m not sure “wonderful” is the correct translation)


Q: Big Bro Keichō’s line (“dare date sō suru, ore mo sō suru; everyone does that, I also do that”) was also the best!

Actually, in the first scene where I appeared with Angelo, I said “an encounter is fate", "deai to wa jūryoku"). This line was from Araki sensei Part 6 spoken by Enrico Pucci. Since there was such a request to put that line in by any means, we thus used that line. However, I knew it because Director Miike Takashi told me about it before the production. I thought that I got a very heavy line to say… Of course the word “gravity” [fate] did not appear on Part 4, thus the world of Jojo has evolved to become a deeper work. This time, particularly with respect to dialogs or lines, one might not be able to compare Jojo with other works.

(in Jojo-verse, gravity or jūryoku 重力 is actually a reference to ‘fate’ as Enrico Pucci puts it).


Q: Earlier, you said that you loved Jojo the most. Thus, when you learned that Yamazaki (Kento) would play Jojo, did you envy him?

Well, yes! When I saw (Kento) saying Jojo’s lines, I also wanted to say “dorararararara!!” (LOL). Yamazaki-kun is truly a straightforward person, a truly straight person, right. After saying “I’m going to give it a go!”, he’d scream “dorararararara!!”. At that time, I would think “Oh… that war cry… how cool was that… I also wanna say that…”. At that time, I was actually shouting the “Shoot him!” command (LOL). Crazy Diamond is truly cool, eh...


Q: Although this time, the movie is about Chapter 1, are there any other (Jojo) characters you wanted to perform?

I also wanted to portray Fungami Yūya… with his Highway Star stand. I wonder if they would call me again for a different role…Although it’s understandably unlikely, I do want to perform again… Fungami is also popular, right.


Q: Speaking of Fungami, there are many characters who have changed from being enemies to being allies since they met Jojo in Part 4. 

That’s right. Rohan-sensei (Kishibe Rohan) is also like that. Jojo as the main protagonist is truly an amazing character, right. I wanted to be born as such a cool man…


Q: For you, Jojo is indeed such a presence that you look up to, right. 

That’s true! He has such a beautiful heart, and I also truly want to be a person who helps people! However irritating his hairstyle is for me! (LOL).


Q: The protagonist’s “Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure: Diamonds are unbreakable” will soon be released. As a Jojo fan, how does the movie look to you?

I think that it has become a work that truly does not disappoint me. The fan in me is also excited with the work, although I think non-fans will find it interesting too. After all, the characters are attractive and interesting. And since, more than anything, Yamazaki Kento’s Jojo role is attractive, I definitely want to go and watch the movie. Also, the stands are very cool! The CGIs are the best!


Postscript


After the interview, Okada wistfully muttered, “I’d like to read Jojo once again… I truly love it…”.

"JoJo's escape from a bizarre amusement park" is currently being held at the Tokyo Dome City Attractions. As the actor planned a private trip to the attraction and as he looked forward to seeing the stand scenes in Jojo the movie, Okada’s eyes were shining.

The live-action movie of Jojo, a movie that even engrossed such a fan like Okada, who is himself a fan of the original work, now finally opens its curtains.

(Interview / Sentence: Editorial Department · Hideyuki Imoto)





岡田将生が語る「ジョジョ」本気でDIOや吉良になりたかった中学時代


7月某日、漫画「ジョジョの奇妙な冒険」シリーズの一冊を手に取り、「露伴先生だ!!」と満面の笑みを見せた俳優の岡田将生。そう、実写映画『ジョジョの奇妙な冒険 ダイヤモンドは砕けない 第一章』で虹村形兆役に挑んだ彼は、芸能界きっての漫画「ジョジョの奇妙な冒険」ファンなのであるッ! オファーを受けた当初を振り返り、「観たいという気持ちと、本当にやっていいんだろうかという気持ちがありました」と本気で悩んだという岡田が、「ジョジョ」との出会いや原作の魅力、そして映画への思いを語った。



■出会いは中学生…岡田将生のジョジョ歴


Q:岡田さんとジョジョの出会いはいつ頃なのでしょうか?

 中学生の時かな……もともと漫画が大好きで。漫画好きの友達からジョジョは必ず通らなければならない道だと言われていて(笑)。古本屋さんなどに行って、少しずつ買い集めていきました。

Q:岡田さんの中学生時代というと、「ジョジョの奇妙な冒険 第6部 ストーンオーシャン」からですか?

 そうです! でも、そこに行くまでにはまず1巻から買わないといけないんですよ! だから本当に大変だった……たどり着かないんです……。ようやく追いついた時にはぎりぎり「ストーンオーシャン」の最終巻(80巻)が出た時くらいかもしれないです。

Q:「ストーンオーシャン」ということは、「週刊少年ジャンプ」(集英社)での連載時から?(シリーズはその次の「STEEL BALL RUN スティール・ボール・ラン」連載時に、月刊誌「ウルトラジャンプ」に掲載誌を移行している)

 そうですね。中学校1年生くらいからジャンプを買うようになって。しかし第5部完結まででも63巻もあるんですよね……いや~懐かしいな……。しかもジョジョって文庫版も出ているじゃないですか。だから仕事をし始めて、少しずつお金が入るようになってきた時に全巻買い直しました

Q:全巻ですか!? ちなみに文庫とコミックスどちらを?

 コミックスで買いました! やっぱり何回読んでも面白いし、ジョジョはつながっていく感じが面白いんですよね。承太郎の物語は第3部で終わったはずなのに、第4部でまた出てきた時にはすごく興奮しました。

Q:第4部には(第2部の主人公の)ジョセフも登場しますよね。

 そう、ジョセフも出てきて……岸辺露伴先生も出てきて……そして吉良吉影も……しかも今(連載中の)「ジョジョリオン」にも「吉良吉影」というキャラクターが登場するじゃないですか。そのつながりがいいですよね……。荒木飛呂彦先生は本当にすごいんですよ……荒木先生の絵が本当にほしいです……。

Q:岡田さんほどの方なら何かしらの機会があったのではと思っていました。

昔はフィギュアも家の中にたくさんあったんですよ……でも一時期増えすぎてしまって。今は自制しています。でもコミックスは買っています!

■大人になると読み方が変わるジョジョ


Q:中学生の頃に読んだジョジョと、大人になってから読むジョジョは違いますか?

 そうかもしれないです。まず読むスピードが変わりましたよね。遅くなった(笑)。全部一コマ一コマチェックするようになりました……僕、なんだかんだで一年に一回読み返している気がします。スペインでの撮影時にも、携帯電話にダウンロードして「明日このシーンだ!」と読んでいましたね。

Q:結構な頻度ですね!

 康一がどんどんたくましく成長していく様子に、ウルッとくるようになりました(笑)。読むたびに、登場人物が与えられたきっかけを経て成長していく姿に、自分もいろいろな経験をしなければいけないなと感じるんです。自分にとって今回がそのきっかけなのかな……と。自分と重ねて読んで考えることがあります。本当にステキな作品なんです。

Q:ちなみにテレビアニメ版もご覧に?

 たまに(リアルタイムで)観ていました! そう、荒木先生の色も大好きなんですよね!

Q:コミックスの表紙も色鮮やかですよね。

 本当にすごいんです! あとは(ファンの間で)ジョジョ立ちと言われているポージングも、学生時代にみんなでやっていました。そして今回の映画の撮影現場でも、主演の山崎賢人くんに「ちょっと(コミックス表紙の仗助のポーズを)やってよ!」とお願いしていました(笑)。

Q:撮影時の衣装のままでということですか?

 そうです! それで「おお~! かっこいいよ!!」「いいじゃん!!」と言っていました(笑)。

Q:スタンド(特殊能力)も「ジョジョ」の魅力の一つですが、岡田さんの一番好きなスタンドは?

 スタンドは、そのキャラクターの人柄によって変わるもの。だから「なおす」という能力の、仗助の「クレイジー・ダイヤモンド」が一番好きだったんです。それと同時に、仗助のような男になりたいと思っていました。あんなに気持ちのいい男はいない。しかもかっこいい。でも人気なのは、吉良吉影の「キラークイーン」なのかな。でもジョルノの「ゴールド・エクスペリエンス」も人気がある気がする。うーん……やっぱり僕は仗助だな。

Q:岡田さんにとってジョジョの魅力とは?

 難しいですね……中学生ながら僕は、敵が最大の魅力だなと思っていましたね。もちろん承太郎も好きですし、仗助も好きなんですけれども。それでも敵役に魅力があればあるほど、主人公がなおさら際立つ。その対照的な関係性がとても好きで。DIOや吉良を見て「なんてかっこいいんだろう、こんな悪役になりたい」と中高生の時に本気で思っていたんです。そしたら、第5部で今度はDIOの息子が主人公になっていて!! そういうことも含めて大好きなんですよね。

■荒木先生の願いから実現したセリフ

Q:それでは映画で虹村形兆を演じられることに、大きな喜びを感じられたのでは?

 そうですね。仗助にとっての初めの敵ですから。しかも完全な悪ではなくて、自分の信念がある。家族との関係性もステキだなと思いますし。初めて漫画で見た時以上に、年齢を重ねてからあらためてグッときました。ジョジョは見る年齢によっても深みが違ってくる作品ですよね。だからこそ形兆を演じることができてすごくうれしかったですし、完成した作品を観て、本当にやってよかったなと思います。本当に……関われてよかった……。最初に実写化の話を聞いた時には「何!?」と反応してしまったところはありましたが、今は本当に成功すると思っています。

Q:形兆アニキの「誰だってそーする おれもそーする」のセリフも最高でした!

 実は初めの方で僕が登場するアンジェロとのシーンで、「出会いとは重力」という言葉が出てくるんです。このセリフは荒木先生から、6部のプッチ神父の言葉をどうしても入れていただきたいというリクエストがあったことから実現したんですよ。でも僕がそれを知ったのは、本番前に三池崇史監督に言われた時で。すごく重たいセリフをいただいてしまったなと思いましたね……。確かに重力という言葉は第4部では出てこないので、ジョジョの世界観がより一層深まった作品になっているというか。今回は特にセリフに関しては、ほかの作品と比べても思い入れが違うかもしれません。

Q:先ほどは仗助が一番お好きということでしたが、山崎さんが演じられると知った時にうらやましく思われたことも?

 いや~、ありました! 仗助のセリフを言っているのを見て、僕も「『ドララララララーッ!!』って言いたい!!」と思いました(笑)。山崎くんは本当に素直で、真っすぐな人なんですよね。彼は「気合い入れます!」って言った後に、「ドララララララーッ!!」とさけぶんですよ。その時にも「おお、さけんでる……かっこいい……僕も言いたい……」と思いました。今回僕は「いけー!」「撃てー!」という命令が中心なので(笑)。やっぱりクレイジー・ダイヤモンドはかっこいいですよね……。

Q:今回は「第一章」という位置づけですが、ほかに演じてみたかったキャラクターはいましたか?

 噴上裕也も演じてみたかったんですよね……(スタンドが)ハイウェイ・スターの。違う役でも呼んでくれないかな……さすがにダメなのでしょうけれども……出たい……。噴上も人気ありますよね。

Q:噴上といえば、第4部には仗助と出会ってから敵から味方になど立ち位置が変わるキャラクターが多いですよね。

 そうなんです、露伴先生もそうですし。やっぱり主人公の仗助がいいキャラクターなんですよ。こんなかっこいい男に生まれたかったですよ……。

Q:本当に岡田さんにとって仗助が憧れの存在だったんですね。

 そうです! こんなに心がきれいで、人を助けられる人間になりたいと本当に思います! リーゼントはムリかもしれないですけれども(笑)。

Q:その仗助が主人公の『ジョジョの奇妙な冒険 ダイヤモンドは砕けない 第一章』が公開されますが、ジョジョファンの岡田さんから見ていかがでしたか?

 本当に裏切らない作品になっていると思います。ファンの僕も興奮する作品でしたし、もちろんファンの方以外も楽しめると思います。やっぱり登場人物たちも魅力的で面白いので。そして何より仗助役の山崎賢人が魅力的なので、ぜひ観ていただきたいです。あとスタンドがすごいカッコイイです! CG最高ですよ!

■取材後記

取材後に「もう一度読みたくなりますよね……好きだな~ジョジョ……」とかみしめるようにつぶやいていた岡田。現在東京ドームシティ アトラクションズで開催中のリアル脱出ゲーム「ジョジョの奇妙な遊園地からの脱出」には、プライべートで行く予定だと目を輝かせていたそんな彼が、スタンドの登場シーンで思わず前のめりになったという映画『ジョジョ』。大の原作ファンの岡田さえも夢中にさせた映画『ジョジョ』がついに幕を開ける。(取材・文:編集部・井本早紀)
映画『ジョジョの奇妙な冒険 ダイヤモンドは砕けない 第一章』は84日より全国公開


Popular posts in the last 30 days

Taira no Kiyomori ep 41: Yoritomo started to trust Masako

'Haru comes down from the second floor' (Gravity’s Clowns commentary)

Review of Yoshikawa Eiji ‘s ‘Minamoto no Yoritomo’, Book One