A Hamlet MV

 Screen-shot from Bunkamura's Hamlet promotional video

Before I watched Hamlet, I have wanted to made an MV of Hamlet. Since the beautiful stage and cast of Hamlet are still in my mind, I thought it was a good time to make one MV then. Here I use one of the most iconic opera songs, "O Mio Babbino Caro" by Giacomo Puccini, sung beautifully by the late Maria Callas.



I thought the song choice is very apt because it talks about a girl (Lauretta) who was forbidden by her father to see her beloved. It captures Ophelia's sorrow for not being able to be with Hamlet (because Polonius and Laertes did not like the idea). The MV also - I hope - captures Hamlet's regret upon Ophelia's death, as well as his regret for the death of Polonius. Hamlet wasn't a perfect prince, but in the end, I think he grew up. To me, Okada Masaki's Hamlet perfectly captured that journey.

The song lyrics is below.



O mio babbino caro

O mio babbino caro
Mi piace, è bello, bello
Vo' andare in Porta Rossa
A comperar l'anello!
Sì, sì, ci voglio andare!
E se l'amassi indarno,
Andrei sul Ponte Vecchio,
Ma per buttarmi in Arno!
Mi struggo e mi tormento!
O Dio, vorrei morir!
Babbo, pietà, pietà!
Babbo, pietà, pietà!


Translation by Google:

O my dear papa
I like him, he is handsome, handsome
I want to go to Porta Rossa
To buy the ring!
Yes, yes, I want to go there!
And if my love were in vain,
I would go to the Ponte Vecchio
And throw myself in the Arno!
I am aching, I am tortured!
Oh God, I'd like to die!
Father, have pity, have pity!
Father, have pity, have pity!

Popular posts in the last 30 days

Taira no Kiyomori ep 41: Yoritomo started to trust Masako

'Haru comes down from the second floor' (Gravity’s Clowns commentary)

Review of Yoshikawa Eiji ‘s ‘Minamoto no Yoritomo’, Book One