‘Hamlet’ is a work that will remain in my memory

I have translated the interview of WOWOW for "Hamlet", uploaded on 29 August 2019. Thanks to Wisteria-san for the translation consultation…誠に感謝しています…

Okada Masaki as Hamlet (photo by WOWOW)

Okada Masaki: ‘Hamlet’ is a work that will remain in my memory


2019/08/29 11:00 WOWOW


On 31 August 2019 (from 9 pm), WOWOW will broadcast “Hamlet”, a stage play where Okada Masaki garnered attention for challenging the difficult role of Hamlet in Shakespeare’s masterpiece.  So far, Okada had taken his first plunge on stage plays with Ninagawa Yukio’s “Total Eclipse” production and acquired more experience with the likes of “Go Go Boys, Go Go Heaven” and “Ningen Gowasan”. Captured in the same fantasy, I watched the enthusiastic performance of the protagonist Hamlet’s revenge and madness. This time, I interviewed Okada while the performance was still on-going.


Q: As your first Shakespeare work, how did you feel when you received the offer to do the role of Hamlet?

I was very surprised to begin with. In the first place, since I did my first stage with this producer*, we often talked about how I wanted to try doing a Shakespeare work with them. However, I didn’t think that the chosen work would be “Hamlet”. Of course I was happy. By no means I could get this role just by nominating myself.  I truly thought of “Hamlet” as a work that requires determination.

(*I take it that here Masaki meant Bunkamura as the ‘producer’ whom he did his first stage play)


Q: How did you prepare for your role?

I read many books and participated in Simon Godwin’s production workshop. However, once the practice completely started, I just had to deal with it. My seniors around me also gave me a lot of encouragement, thus I spontaneously was like, “yeah, I’ll do that!”.

(I translated “I just had to deal with it” from 腹をくくるしかなかった)


Q: Speaking of Shakespeare conjures up a strong image of Ninagawa-san. Thus, please tell us your memories of him.

My stage play debut was a production by Ninagawa-san. If I didn't have that encounter, perhaps I wouldn’t be doing stage plays now. The first time I did the stage play with Ninagawa-san was such a fortune for me. He showed me how interesting the stage was, how scary it also was. He gave me the chance to love the stage, thus I truly am grateful. Ninagawa-san also told me that he wanted to do a Shakespeare work with me one day, thus I naturally familiarised myself with the works of Shakespeare. This time, I truly feel that Ninagawa-san has been watching every single performance.


Q: What was your challenge in creating the role?

I created this “Hamlet” with the whole team. The team contributed ideas to the interpretation of each scene, and thus such inclusion was the style for this performance. Although I portrayed Hamlet, it doesn’t mean I did it alone. I strongly feel that everyone’s idea got to be used each and every day at the practice hall.


Q: What did you feel during your first day (of Hamlet)?

During the first day, I thought “OMG, I don’t want to do a stage play anymore!”.  The role of Hamlet this time was truly a scary role, so I was truly scared when I was alone on stage. However, when the light shone on and guided me, eventually I thought that the stage was beautiful. Thus, on the first day of the Hamlet I did with this team, I truly felt that it would be a work that would definitely remain in my memory.


Q: A message to the viewers if you will?

I think this ‘Hamlet’ can only be made by this team led by Simon. Should the cast change, the product would definitely be different. This ‘Hamlet’ can only be completed at this time, by this cast and staff, and with Simon. For now, this work is not yet completed. It’s a work with a lot of potentials and we are steadily working towards it together. I think it’s a work that can produce good things, such that I’d be very happy to witness it throughout the period of this production. I’d like the audience (who are viewing this work) to accept this ‘Hamlet’ that we made.


(Note: I translated ‘For now, this work is not yet completed’ from まだ出来上がってはいなくて, as in, when the interview took place, the Hamlet show had not finished yet. Thank you Wisteria-san for the advice). 



Okada Masaki as Hamlet (photo by WOWOW)

岡田将生、『ハムレット』は「僕の記憶の中に残っていく作品」

2019/08/29 11:00

WOWOW

WOWOWでは、岡田将生がシェイクスピア作品最高峰の難役ハムレット役に挑み注目を集めた舞台『ハムレット』を8月31日に放送する(21:00~)。岡田は、これまでに蜷川幸雄演出の『皆既食 ~Total Eclipse~』で初舞台を踏み、『ゴーゴーボーイズ ゴーゴーヘブン』、『ニンゲン御破算』など経験を積み、同作で幻想にとらわれた主人公ハムレットの復讐と狂気の熱演を見せた。今回、公演期間中に主演を務めた岡田にインタビューを行った。


――初のシェイクスピア作品、そしてハムレット役のオファーを受けたときの気持ちは?

まず、びっくりしたというのが一番でした。そもそも今回のプロデューサーと初めて舞台を一緒にやらせてもらってから、いつかシェイクスピア作品をやってみたいという話をよくしていたんですけど、まさか選んでいただいたものが『ハムレット』だとは思わなかったので。もちろんうれしい気持ちもあって、ハムレットという役は、自分から手を上げてもなかなか出来ない役ですし、本当に覚悟がいる作品だなと思いましたね。

――役のためにどのような準備をされましたか

本をいっぱい読んだり、演出のサイモン・ゴドウィンのワークショップに参加させてもらったりしました。でも、いざ稽古が始まってしまうと、腹をくくるしかなかったです。周りの先輩方にも、頑張れ、頑張れと言っていただいていたので、自然と、「もうやるぞ」という感じになっていました。

――シェイクスピアといえば、蜷川幸雄さんの印象が強いと思いますが、蜷川さんとの思い出を教えてください

僕の初舞台が蜷川さん演出でして、その出会いがなかったら、多分僕は舞台をやっていなかったと思います。一番最初に蜷川さんとやれたということは僕にとってすごく財産で、舞台の面白さを、そして怖さを教えてもらい、舞台を好きになるきっかけを作ってくれたので本当に感謝しています。蜷川さんにもシェイクスピア作品をいつかやって欲しいと言われていて、シェイクスピア作品を意識するようになっていたというのは確かです。今回は、本当に蜷川さんも見てくれているだろうなという気持ちで、毎公演やらせてもらっています。

――役作りで苦労したことは?

今回の『ハムレット』はみんなで作った作品で、それぞれのシーンの解釈をみんなのアイデアで埋めて、演出に盛り込んでいくというスタイルでした。僕がハムレットを演じていますが、僕がどうこうというわけではなく、1日1日稽古場でみんなでアイデアを出して作っていったという印象が大きいですね 。


――初日を迎えたときの気持ちは?

初日に関しては、「もう舞台は、やりたくないな」と思っていました。今回のハムレットという役は、本当に怖さを感じる役だったので、舞台で一人になった時はすごく怖くなってしまって。だけど皆さんがライトで照らしてくれるように導いてくださったので、最終的には、舞台って素敵だなと思ったし、このカンパニーでやれた「ハムレット」というのはずっと僕の記憶の中に残っていく作品だなとすごく感じられた初日でした。


――ご覧になる方へのメッセージをお願いします

今回の『ハムレット』は、サイモン率いるこのカンパニーじゃないと作れないと思います。キャストが変わったら絶対違うものになってしまうので、この時期、このキャスト・スタッフ、そしてサイモンがいて、この「ハムレット」が出来上がっています。そしてまだ出来上がってはいなくて、すごく伸びしろがある作品で、それをみんなでどんどん追求して、いいものを作っていける作品だと思うので、この公演期間を通した上で、その一瞬を見てもらえるというのはすごく嬉しいし、(ご覧になる方には)僕たちが作った「ハムレット」を受け止めてほしいなと思っています。


Popular posts in the last 30 days

Taira no Kiyomori ep 41: Yoritomo started to trust Masako

Review of Yoshikawa Eiji ‘s ‘Minamoto no Yoritomo’, Book One

'Haru comes down from the second floor' (Gravity’s Clowns commentary)